Pages

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Don't Panic! That Wasn't An Earthquake!

It was just me trying something new….running!!

Yes, that rumbling vibrating sensation you felt on the Earth’s crust was not the movement of fault lines beneath you but me running.  So you can rest easy!

I’m the first one to admit, I’m not…I repeat NOT a runner by any definition of the word.  I used to run Track in High School way, way, WAY back in the day.  But even then, I was a sprinter and not an honest-to-goodness runner.  Even during track practice I could barely make it around the track twice before feeling like my lungs were burning up from the inside out.  And I was actually in the best shape of my life back then.  No, I ran for the competition of it all.  The, ‘I’m faster than you and you’re going to eat my dust’ of it all.  Sprinting suited me just fine.  I’d get up for my race, get into the blocks, run my little heart out and be done in less than a minute.  Then I’d sit down and watch the long distance runners do their races and I would be ever so thankful I wasn’t them.  No, a runner I am not.

So why in the world after it has been 20 years since I’ve done any kind of running that wasn’t just in name only, you know, “running” to the store, “running” out to the mall, “running” errands, “running” the kids ragged, would I decide to strap on the shoes and actually start running now??  No, I’m really asking you because I don’t have a darn clue. 

I guess if I had to put it into words I would say the reason I’ve just decided to get up and start running at this time in my life is because I’m making it a goal to try new things to help me be a better mother, wife, and person in general.  How does running do that?  I’m not quite sure really, at least not yet.  I do know it is extremely beneficial to your physical health and well being.  That’s a huge plus because being tired and run down while raising three boys just makes you a perfect target to be run OVER by three boys.  Running helps to release any kind of frustration that may have been brought on during the day.  It helps you sleep better which makes the world look better in general.  Instead of doing some cardio aerobic exercise in the house on the TV it gets you OUT by YOURSELF for a little while!  WOO HOOO!!  Who would have known that the torture of running would be worth it in order to have some time alone!

So I’m giving this running thing all I’ve got.  Starting slow so as not to put myself in the hospital.  But I’m excited about it.  In the short time since I’ve started running I’ve figured out a few things 1) running isn’t my favorite thing to do in the world, but I’m going to stick with it 2) groins are sensitive little twerps and are masters at payback for the work you make them do, and 3) the after run pain feels just like if you’ve been riding a horse all…day….long!

Number three actually gives me a little insight to the late John Wayne.  That swagger he had…it wasn’t because it was a trademark or part of the characters he was playing.  It was because he was too darn sore to walk normally after being on horses for hours at a time during the movie shoots.  I understand this now as I have adopted my own little John Wayne swagger while trying to walk a day or two after I’ve been out for a run. 

What have you tried lately to better yourself as a mother, wife, and person in general?  If this running thing doesn’t work out…I may need to follow your lead. 

Wish me luck!!  I’m going to need it!

1 comment:

joni hardwick said...

love the "running by name only" that is so what we do! i think i said before about the running, to sprint for awhile, then walk too is great! keeps things interesting, and you can do what you feel at the moment. i also agree that it is a great way to get away! lol! what we will do for time alone! go girl!